Saturday, January 08, 2005

Christians...

You know what bothers me about most "real" Christians? Its not the faith or anything since I'm a Christian. The problem is Shiny Happy Christian syndrome. Too many come off as ineffectual puppy dogs content with everything like nothing ever goes wrong. Christians should be joyful always but not always happy looking. Well some people are entirely too cheery and they suck the darkness out of life. I need more darkness more black more sadness more depression. I need reality. Faith tempered by life rather than watching TBN and shopping at the local Bible book store. I'm happy that they are Christians I just want them living in reality.

This leads me to my other issue. Looking at whats out there in the world like 1% of non-Christians I consider 'cool' (which may be overestimating). Whereas there are maybe .01% Christians that would meet my coolness standards. This of course means that in a metro like San Jose with ~ 1.2 mil people with ~15% Christians and of those like ~ .01% are cool.
1,200,000 * .3 * .01 = 1,800 cool Christians. Now this number must be too high because if they were cool Christians I would have spotted more than the five or six I have met since I moved here six months ago. So this means one of the following:
1) There are less Christians in the San Jose area <- This may be it
2) There are even fewer cool Christians like .0001% or something
3) I just don't get out enough. :) (or they don't)
Anyways I hope 3 isn't the answer (though 1 or 2 aren't appealing either) but if there ever was a place for a cool Christian to be it would be the Blank Club on Thursday night. If you are up to the coolness challenge check it out. I may be there, all in black, wearing more makeup than most girls would.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home