Tuesday, May 03, 2005

I return from Coachella

I just got back from a very long weekend at Coachella. Here's who I saw:
Friday (in SLO):
-Viva Voce
Saturday:
M83, Snow Patrol, Keane, Rilo Kiley, Wilco, Weezer, Bauhaus, Coldplay
Sunday:
Diplo, Jem, Thrice, The Futureheads, Gang of Four, New Order, Nine Inch Nails, The Faint

My favorite performance was Bauhaus for their very theatrical performance. The lead singer came out suspended upside down and sang the first song upside down. I heard from a security guard that when they had rehearsed this the day before they released bats as he went onto the stage but they didn't do that for us. Very goth, very dark, very fun. Musically not the most exciting since their music can drone on, but I still loved them.
My favorite musically was Weezer who just continuously played good songs. Other than that boring Beverly Hills song can they do any wrong?
Coolest performance goes to Gang Of Four who haven't played in 20 years and yet they still sound crisp and fresh. The lead singer was crazy and knocked over the micstand like 7 times. He also proceeded to smash a microwave to the beat and proceeded to make a mess of it. He was very into it.
The Faint had the most potential to wow me but I only got to see 3 of their songs. They did a Karftwerk-esque set in that they had music videos synced up to their music.
NIN didn't impress at all, Trent Reznor is just ho-hum. So angry.
Best band I hadn't heard was Futureheads. Lots of good UK stuff this year!
Band I sorely missed was Dresden Dolls. I really wanted to see their costumed brigade.

We drove Sunday night until 5AM when we reached SLO. Then I crashed. I didn't make it back home until 7PM Monday. Good thing I took the day off.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home