Sunday, September 11, 2005

Soliton part 4: Return to my roots?

The Soliton experience was largely a dialogue on the Emergent Church living in a supposedly Post-modernist world. There was a heavy influence on characteristics of post-modernism like globalization and consumerism along with a heavy influence on social justice and activism. While I do value there various new expressions of worship like Body Prayer and Celtic Christian influences the other factors I just mentioned just don't jive with my outlook on life. I was first a Christian in a Baptist evangelical context and the only reason I left that was because I desired a heightened sense of spirituality that the contemporary church I was attending did not provide. I was reminded at Soliton of my friend FWWTRN's similar journey from evangelical to emergent and his subsequent jump after a deep time of spiritual study to a form of Calvinism (was it Neo-Calvinism?). I was also reminded of my recent visit to the stone sanctuaries of the U.K., now tourist sites, but once homes of deep faith (C.S. Lewis was a CofE member), and of the strong Biblical teaching my first church once had before it was modernized. I felt a yearning for simplicity in the complication of this event, a return to stone sanctuaries and simple faith, a draw to strong Biblical rather than experiencial teaching. Where will this lead me?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home